Jump Ultimate Stars (ジャンプアルティメットスターズ, Janpu Arutimetto Sutāzu) is a 2D fighting game developed by Ganbarion and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo DS. The game has been released on November 23, 2006 in Japan and there are no plans in releasing the game in North America like it's initial series Jump Super Stars due to licensing issues.
The game shows characters from manga series published by Shueisha released by the weekly magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump that made their debut in the past and in the present. Evenly series that didn't made it far in Jump's popularity poll will also featured in the game. The game has been changed since it's initial release on August 8, 2005. The game shows 305 playable characters which 56 of them are fully playable from 41 different Shōnen manga series compared to 160 characters which 34 playable from 27 different manga in the original. Unfortunately some series didn't make their appearance in the sequel such as the characters from Hikaru no Go and from Mr. Fullswing.
The game is this time playable through the wi-fi connection and can probably played by various players in Japan using the wi-fi connection.
Metacritic gives it 89/100 based on 5 critic reviews.
Playable D.Gray-man characters Edit
Since the release of the first game, there are this time two playable characters: Allen Walker and Lenalee Lee. There are also some characters that can be supported throughout the koma, to help one of the playable character which he supports or heal them.
As seen by the first game, the game is based around koma (コマ; Literally meaning "panel") that represent characters to create decks on a four by five grid. Koma come in various shapes and sizes, taking up one to eight blocks. There are three kinds of koma's known: "Battle koma", "Help koma", and "Support koma".
- Battle koma – Battle koma are four to eight block koma that represent the playable character. They are based on various manga panels and are used to represent what kind of special attacks the characters have.
- Support koma – Support koma are two or three block koma that represent non-playable characters that can perform actions such as attacks, healing or status effects.
- Help koma – Help koma are one block koma that can give different boosts to characters they are placed next to.
Each koma comes with a certain nature. These natures are known as: "Knowledge", "Strength", and "Laughter" which has the same usage as playing Rock-paper-scissors, but then on a different type:
- Strength beats Knowledge → Rock beats Scissors.
- Knowledge beats Laughter → Scissors beat Paper.
- Laughter beats Strength → Paper beats Rock.
The stronger type will deal more damage to the weaker type. New komas can be unlocked by clearing challenges in Story mode, or evolving existing komas using gems collected in Story Mode to unlock new paths and komas, such as stronger variations of Battle koma.
External Links Edit
- Official Nintendo Website (Japanese)